Thursday, November 19, 2009

There's Always Tomorrow...

Roa and I continue to truck each Wednesday to ECFE class at Normady Park School.  We run with our heads cut off (actually only I do the running) getting the bag packed, breakfast in us, dressed, bedheads combed, afo's and shoes on, in this season- hat, coat, mittens, ...and into the car.  We skip the much-needed morning nap so that Roa can go to school and be "a big boy" and interact with the other kids.
Roa seems to really like it.  Pat plays with Roa while I do the parent part of the class.  She says Roa watches everything and everybody at play!  Taking it all in- that's our guy.
I put on a happy face and join in the discussion when I feel like giving input, but there is always that slight knot in my stomach.  That little thought going through my brain ,constantly, as we discuss toddler behaviors like running away in the parking lot, climbing out of the crib, yelling NO or MINE, getting into EVERYTHING....
 The little questions running over and over... Why weren't we blessed with these toddler "problems" with Roa?  When will it be my turn to ask how to battle these wonderful issues?  Will it ever?

As a special educator, I would have told me to "Speak up!  Tell these other mothers what you are going through!  Educate! " 
But, as a mother of the special guy in the room, I just want to listen and wish and dream about another day... Maybe I should tell them that Roa is starting to slowly go through the motions of crawling.  That he can hold things for a few seconds without them flying out of his hand.  Maybe I should ask their opinion on how to entice Roa to roll over on his own or how to battle his gag reflex with solids...
 But it is too hard. Period.

So, I will share with YOU because either you are visiting our blog because you are curious about our life or you are inspired by Roa's small triumphs. 
I will share with you that Roa makes a little squeal when we pull him around on a blanket ride through the house.  Roa does a little full-body shimmy with excitement when we walk into his bedroom after his nap.  Roa cannot hug or kiss, but does this sort of nuzzle and bite of my neck to show his love.

These are the things that keep my spirits up as I dream of tomorrow and the possiblity of a few typical toddler troubles in store for the Thayers. 

2 comments:

  1. I know how hard it is hear parents complain or brag about what their child is doing. I've had to excuse myself to go to the bathroom and have a little pity party. We are all entitled to them.

    I did want to tell you that Roa is blessed to have you! I know that someday Roa will 'misbehave' but you won't be complaining. You will be celebrating! That is your blessing. Our appreciation for the little things is our gift. Only we know the pure joy of witnessing a new improvement no matter how small. Most parents don't even realize all that their children are doing!

    I love the nuzzles and love bites! I remember when Olivia did her little shimmy shakes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jennifer, I can so relate. Elijah and I took an ECFE class when he was six months old. I was really glad that we went, but it was also incredibly hard to watch the other babies and listen to the other moms.

    I can say that when Elijah gets into "trouble" I have a really hard time saying no. I say it because I know he needs to hear it, but inside I'm cheering (sometimes I think my tone of voice probably gives away that I don't really want to say it). The blessing comes in not taking anything for granted - not a single step, not pulling down the curtains, nothing. I have this feeling you'll be having this same internal struggle yourself when it comes to Roa. Keep on dreaming because dreams DO come true. I'm dreaming right along with you for Roa and for our little guy too. :) HUGS!!

    ReplyDelete

Mom and Me

Mom and Me